21 December 2013

Cupcakes and Eggnog


My Christmas spirit finally kicked in. It took awhile this year. The Sailor and kids started Christmas break yesterday, I made the biggest grocery trip of my life last night, stocking up on all of the goodies we'll need for our Christmas ham, our New Years roast, and the obscene amount of Christmas tree cupcakes I plan to bake since no one is asking for pie. And today while baking said cupcakes (pictures later), I made my first glass of egg nog. If you're looking for a good homemade recipe, this was amazing, but it's a lot of work. This year we bought some good bourbon and a carton of golden egg nog prepared. Shake, pour, top, yum!


Last night we watched It's a Wonderful Life, which I hadn't seen in probably 10 years, and I was reminded that this is a good time to stop working on anything unnecessary and start focusing on enjoying our children and our time together. Sometimes we get so busy trying to make things a good time that we forget to have a good time; and in this case, having a good time means relaxing with long books, warm quilts, sweet holiday movies, and decadent food.


Some of you asked about Elf of the Shelf when I didn't mention it in our holiday routine post- we don't do Elf on the Shelf. I won't say 'hate', but I strongly dislike and totally don't understand that practice. Another glaring omission in our holiday check list compared to other families, I've noticed this week, is a visit to Santa. I love seeing everyone's photos of their kids with Santa. The big smiles are precious, and the meltdowns are hilarious. We don't have any such pictures, because we don't take them. My ten year olds still believe in Santa. They ask a lot of questions, but we've managed to keep the dream alive, and I hope to for as long as possible. The biggest thing we've got going for us is that they've never seen Santa. Because they can't see Santa, he won't allow it. That's why everyone has to be asleep for him to bring gifts. Why would Santa, in the midst of the busiest time of year for him, hang out at Willow Bend Mall for photo ops? What if this particular Santa doesn't have a real beard, or has an accent, or is padded instead of legitimately fat? What if that one move ruins the fantasy? 

I've enjoyed, but never envied anyone's Santa pictures, until this post over at 'This Organic Life' . I don't know for certain, but I think NYC's Macy's Santa might be the real thing. New York City is such a unique place to visit, I love reading about this family's trips into the city, especially this time of year. Go check out Morgan's post about their experience with Santa for a little Christmas magic.

http://thisorganicfamily.wordpress.com/
I'm hoping to get plenty of pictures this Christmas since it's Margo's very first one. I want to capture their holiday jammies, story time, gift unwrapping, the big meal, and maybe even jump in a shot myself, to prove my existence. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! See you on the flip side!


Don't forget to VOTE below for Top Baby Blogs!

 Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

You have a beautiful home! I love your decor. =)

Katheryn said...

Love your blog. We also don't practice elf on the shelf. I don't understand the need to add a crazy elf to the mix. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

April said...

If people were smart, like me, they would tell their kids that all the santas at the mall are people dressed up like Santa. There is no possible way that Santa can be at every mall in America and STILL have time to prepare for his voyage on Christmas Eve. The REAL Santa is not to be seen. Duh! Don't even get me started on people forcing their kid's to sit in a strangers lap for a damn picture. They are most likely drunks or pedophiles if they want/don't mind being around screaming children... in a mall... in a blazing hot and itchy costume... for minimal pay. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE!!

Beth said...

I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one to keep the mall Santas off the list. I've always found the pictures to be quite creepy. We took my girls last year only because of the grandparents. Luckily the Santa looked like the real thing. But really, not worth the line and weirdness. I like your take on it to keep Santa real. Btw, yummy looking cupcakes and eggnog! I had an eggnog whiskey at a party I am still craving.

Hover Pin It Code